Skip to main content

Passing parameters into a Swift method and modifying their values

So for people who have read my blog or who know me, they would probably know that I am a Java developer in my day job(full-time contract) and coding Swift is something that I do in my spare time. So there is one thing that I do every now and again in Java and that is something like this

public void modifyCollection(List<String> collection) {
    collection.add("one");
    collection.add("two");
    collection.add("three");
}
and the method is invoked as follows

List<String> testCollection = new ArrayList<String>();
modifyCollection(testCollection);

So after the line modifyCollection(testCollection); the testCollection will have strings one, two and three. Now let us trying something similar in Swift

func modifyCollection(collection:[String]) {
    collection.append("one")
    collection.append("two")
    collection.append("three")
}

var strArray:[String] = [String]()
modifyCollection(strArray)

You will get an error i.e. Immutable value of type [String] only has mutating members named append. 

Problem

The issue is, we are not passing parameters by reference, so what we need to do is pass a parameter by reference. Great, how do we do that? well, read on to find out.

Solution 

So in general there is a specific way in which we can pass parameters by reference into a Swift method using inout parameters. So in the apple docs, there is section called In-Out Parameters, which gives a detailed explanation of what the inout parameters are all about. Now, to make the above code have the same behaviour as our Java code, we need to modify the Swift code as follows,

func modifyCollection(inout collection:[String]) {
    collection.append("one")
    collection.append("two")
    collection.append("three")
}

var strArray:[String] = [String]()
modifyCollection(&strArray)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...