Skip to main content

Capturing the screenshot of a web-page from your web app (using html2Canvas)

A few months ago, I had to add a feature to this web app at work that would enable the users to get a screenshot of the page they are on. When I was given this problem to solve, I thought surely someone must have solved this problem? so I started looking for a library that would help me achieve this. After a bit of searching I came across the html2canvas library which is awesome and it really does get the job done. I am not going to get into details about how the html2canvas library works, I think it's documentation does a good job of it. Anyway my javascript code to capture the screenshot was something like this.

function getScreenshot(callbackFunc){
    var content = document.querySelectorAll("divToCapture")[0];
    setTimeout(function(){screenCap();},0);

    function screenCap(){
        html2canvas(content, {
            onrendered: function(canvas) {
                callbackFunc(canvas.toDataURL());
            }
        });
    } 
}
So the above function is pretty self-explanatory, however I must provide a bit of context to make things more clear. Ok so the web app that I had to add this feature to was a GWT based, so I am passing a callback function that would take the contents of the canvas once html2canvas finishes drawing them.

Now this line of the code
setTimeout(function(){screenCap();},0);
might seem a little bit strange, why not just call the screenCap method would a timeout. Well so at least for the web app that I was working with, the above code without the timeout was working just fine on Chrome and IE but not on Firefox. What was happening on Firefox was that the downloaded image would be blank without the timeout. I tried to find an explanation for this, but I was not very successful. I posted a question on Stackoverflow as well, but could not quite find an answer.

So my conclusion was, since Javascript is single-threaded, and one of the things setTimeout does is push the execution of the function down the execution chain.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...