Skip to main content

Dealing with Core data migration(lightweight) in an iOS app written in Swift

So a while ago, I wrote on how I discovered the existence of this thing call Core Data migrations, by having my app crash when I added a new entity to my core data model. So the solution to that is actually not very hard, the only issue I had was that a majority of the solutions out there, deal with it in apps built with Objective-C and I needed a solution in Swift. I am not very surprised by this given how new Swift is.

Problem

I have defined the problem in mode detail in one of my previous posts, its a small post and I would suggest having a read of it to better understand the problem. Anyway in a nutshell, I was working on my iOS app which used Core data, so I added an entity to my data model, deployed the app, it was saving and retrieving data and it was all working fine. Then I added another entity to my data model and then the app crashed. So then I was looking for a solution to why my app was crashing and what I can do to fix it.

Solution

Once again in a nutshell the solution involves performing what is called a lightweight migration and this video does a pretty good job of explaining how to add model versions. However it presents the solution in an app built using Objective-C and I was/am building my app using Swift. Now the solution presented in that video is pretty much the same for an app written using Swift, well everything except the last part where we ask our AppDelegate to automatically migrate persistent data stores.

If the Xcode project for the app has been creating using Core Data, you will see the initialisation of persistentStoreCoordinator in the AppDelegate.  In it there will be this line

if coordinator!.addPersistentStoreWithType(NSSQLiteStoreType, configuration: nil, URL: url, options: nil, error: &error) 
As evident from the line above, the options being passed into it are nil (null), so we need to pass the following options to it.

var options: NSDictionary = [NSMigratePersistentStoresAutomaticallyOption: true, NSInferMappingModelAutomaticallyOption:true]
The attached screenshot shows, how I accomplished this little Xcode project I made just to get the hang of core data migrations.
Have a look at the variable options of type NSDictionary and how it is used


Comments

thanks for sharing wonderful article on Tech Stuffs
Alfred Avina said…
It requires a well-structured data and the efficient approach to use data migration as a service. The proven solution of the data migration provided by your services helps in performing the successful movement from the old to the required system.

Popular posts from this blog

Upload to AWS S3 from Java API

In this post, you will see code samples for how to upload a file to AWS S3 bucket from a Java Spring Boot app. The code you will see here is from one of my open-source repositories on Github, called document-sharing. Problem Let’s say you are building a document sharing app where you allow your users to upload the file to a public cloud solution. Now, let’s say you are building the API for your app with Spring Boot and you are using AWS S3 as your public cloud solution. How would you do that? This blog post contains the code that can help you achieve that. Read more below,  Upload to AWS S3 bucket from Java Spring Boot app - My Day To-Do (mydaytodo.com)

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...