Skip to main content

My app crashes when I add a new entity to the core data model in my iOSapp

Ok so I was looking for a way to store data to persistent storage in my app. Since I am building an HTML5 app, my first solution was to store data using the now deprecated WebSql database (indexedDB was only introduced in iOS 8!).  Now i had the basic data storage going and then I realised some of the storage limitations in the WebSql database, so I began searching for another solution and during that search I met Core Data!! It was almost like love at first sight, it had all the storage awesomeness that I was after. Since there was so much love, I just wanted to build something and see how it works. So I followed an online tutorial rather than reading Apple's documentation on it, what I did was,  I added an entity to my core data model and wrote the logic to store data and it was all working! So now my app could store and retrieve data from a persistent data source without the storage limitation imposed by WebSql in a webView. It was all going great and thanks to Core Data both my app and I were in a land of blue skies and sunshine :)

Now that I had something that was saved/retrieved with Core Data, I felt I should refine my solution and actually add all the entities that my app needs. So I added a few entities to my data model and re-deployed my app to the device and BANG!!! The app crashed and I was no longer in the land of blue skies and sunshine. Why? In a nutshell, I needed to pay attention to what is described in Core Data Model Versioning and Data Migration. While I do not have a full solution on this yet, but from what I understand, it is about your app knowing what version of the data model it is dealing with. So say you deploy version one of your app with entities Person and Vehicle, and then you add another entity called Animal and re-deploy your app to a device it will crash. Since the app is not expecting to find an Animal i.e. Animal entity. One way in which the app would work with the new added entity, is if you delete it from the device and re-deploy/install it.

I may post more details on versioning with Swift once I know more and I cannot find a better tutorial for it. But till then, the Apple documentation should be very insightful and also this tutorial looks handy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...