Skip to main content

Modifying scope variables outside it's AngularJS controller

So, work involves a fair bit of AngualrJS from time and again and for the most part, I am lucky enough to work with pure AngularJS code, however there are times that I have to work with non-AngularJS code that is supposed to interact with AngularJS code. Please have a look at the example below to get a clearer picture of what scenario I am talking about. Now AngularJS is awesome, but it was not always around i.e. it was released recently compared to some other Javascript libraries. So at times, integrating it with an application that already has well-written javascript, can be a bit challenging. So you may think, why angular is being added to something that already has well-written javascript code? To be honest, I do not know the exact answer to this, but if I were to guess, I suppose it would be to "leverage" some of the benefits that come from using angular.

Scenario

Say we have an input element in the container that we name TestCtrl, as follows

<div id="TestCtrl" ng-controller="TestCtrl>
    <input type="text" id="testInput" value="{{scopeTest}}" />
</div>

ScopeTest is bound to the scope i.e. scope.scopeTest, in the controller TestCtrl.

Problem

Now say if the value of the input element testInput changes outside the controller.  With something like this

function nonControllerFunction(){
   var valElem = document.getElementById("testInput");
   valElem.value = "value changed"
}
The scope property will still be pointing to the same old value, so how do we change the value such that, the scope has the updated value as well?

Solution

The solution is actually pretty straight forward, we make use of the awesome $apply method of the scope. So instead of the above approach we use the following function 

function changeValue(){
    var elem = document.getElementById("TestCtrl");
    var valElem = document.getElementById("testInput");
    var scope = angular.element(elem).scope();
    scope.$apply(function(){
       scope.scopeTest = 'Value changed';
    });
}

So as you can see we get the div that corresponds to the controller, we get its scope and then change the scopeTest property within the $apply function.

References

The answer to this SO question was indeed very helpful.
The official documentation for scope can be very informative as well.

Alternatively the entire source code for this post can be downloaded here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...