Skip to main content

Consistent with equals and unique values in Set

So the other day one of my friends was trying to solve a problem and he decided to share his problem with me. So based on my understanding of what he was trying to do was, that he had 2 disparate groups of data stored in Lists, the two lists were likely to have duplicates. His objective was to consolidate the two lists such that the consolidated list would only have unique entries. The lists had custom data structures, so straightforward methods of adding elements to a Set by itself wasn't enough, nor was it the situation where you add all the elements to one big list and somehow use the removeAll method.

My first reaction to this problem was, hmm why not exploit the consistent with equals concept with a Comparator. Now this may or may not be a good solution, it was a fun one for me to knock up and it builds on my last post about Sorting in Java.

The problem

Say we are getting two streams of data, which may or may not contain duplicates and our goal is to get data that is unique across those two streams. Building on the concepts of Sorting discussed in this post,

Say we have a class called Person, which looks like this
public static class Person {
        public String name;
        public Integer age;
        public String address;
}
And we have two lists of persons, which is
        List<Person> listA = getRandomPersonsList();
        List<Person> listB = getRandomPersonsList();

Now what we want from lists listA and listB, are Persons whose name and age are unique. So lets create a Set which will contain unique persons from listA and listB. The set we will use is a special type of set called a TreeSet. A TreeSet can take a Comparator as a constructor argument and we can write a special type of comparator that will make sure that it only allows unique values in the Set. So that Comparator will look something like

Comparator<Person> nameAgeComparator = new Comparator<Person>() {
            @Override
            public int compare(Person p1, Person p2) {
                if (p1.name.compareTo(p2.name) == 0) {
                    return p1.age.compareTo(p2.age);
                } else {
                    return p1.name.compareTo(p2.name);
                }
            }
        };
Ok, so now we have a Comparator, we have a List of persons, so all we need is to add them to a Set.

        Set<Person> uniquePersons = new TreeSet<Person>(nameAgeComparator);
        uniquePersons.addAll(listA);
        uniquePersons.addAll(listB);

So now if you think about it, a Set by definition will only allow unique values to be stored within it, right? so by passing a Comparator we are dictating what constitutes a unique value. So in case case if we try to add a person with the same and age, it will be considered a duplicate value and hence not added to the Set. In Java, the add method will simply return false.

Now did i solve my friends problem? probably not, partly because i don't exactly know what the problem was, but i am pretty happy that it gave me another idea for a blog post.

A working version of the above example can be found here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...