Skip to main content

End-user app testing and the holiday season

I am writing this blog post as I wait for my flight back home at the Dubai International airport. I am travelling back home from a short holiday to my parents place and this post is going to be about a little something about app testing that I discovered during my holiday. 

p.s. It's 12am, right now, so please excuse any grammatical mistakes in this post. 

What Did I discover?

I grew up in a place with little or no internet connectivity and hence when I was working on my app, My Day To-Do, I made sure that the app  works offline i.e. it doesn't require an internet connection to at least use all it's core features. During development I tested this extensively by switching off Wi-Fi, turning the mobile data off and testing the app's core functionality. All that worked as expected and I had made sure I released an app that would work offline, however recently I realised that there was one more test that I had to do which I didn't. Next time, a similar use case will be a part of my test plan.

The missing test case

During my recent trip to my parents place, I was working on one of my app updates and I was testing some basic app features on a very slow internet connection speed, when I realised that the app showed some very odd behaviour. It was difficult to pin-point the exact issue but the settings in My Day To-Do wouldn't often load properly, especially the part of speech selection. At times the app would crash or I would just have to quit and restart the app to make the problem go away. It wasn't very consistent and since I do not know how to re-produce the issue, it's really difficult if not possible for me to diagnose and fix this issue. If anyone reading this post, has had a similar issue then feel free to leave a comment on how did you go about diagnosing or solving this issue? So that's where I am at, I know of an existence of a problem but do not know exactly what it is. I made sure the app works offline but I am not sure how it works with slow internet connection speeds (0.5 mbps or so).

The holiday season

Last year, I released the Lite version in time for the holiday season and this time I have made the Pro version free for a limited time, i.e. free from 23rd Dec to 1st of Jan 2017. If you haven't given the Pro version a try, then please download it and if possible let me know what you think. 

Conclusion

In case I do not write another blog post before the end of the year, Happy Holidays. A merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Html5 based widget for an iOS app: Today extension powered by the Ionic framework

At some point the thought of adding a Widget to my iOS app came to mind which was followed by starting work on adding a widget for my app, My Day Todos . Obviously the first step was to learn how to add a Widget to an iOS app and in that learning process I discovered many things about widgets in iOS first of which was a widget in iOS is a an app extension i.e a  Today Extension . While I am still haven't finished working on the widget for my iOS app, I thought I would take some time out and share what I have learned. In this post, I will share a few important tips and provide an example of how to add a Widget to an iOS app and have the widget UI powered by Html5 via  Ionic framework . I added some code to my Github repo, Html5StarterAppWithSwift in order to show how this can be achieved. There are already too many tutorials out on the Web on how to add a Today extension to an iOS app so I won't be including that here. Instead I will focus on sharing some of the useful tip...

Build a Full-Stack Image Upload App with Node.js, Express, React, and Vite (Beginner Tutorial)

 If you’re new to full-stack web development and want a hands-on project to practice React frontend integration with a Node.js + Express backend , this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we’ll walk through a simple but powerful app that lets users upload images, store them on the server, and display them back in the browser. This project is based on my GitHub repo: node-express-react-simple-fileupload . It’s designed to be beginner-friendly, SEO-optimized, and a great starting point for anyone learning JavaScript full-stack development . 🛠️ Technologies Used Here’s the tech stack powering this project: Node.js – JavaScript runtime for the backend. Express.js – Lightweight web framework for building REST APIs. Multer – Middleware for handling file uploads. CORS – Enables cross-origin requests between frontend and backend. React.js – Frontend library for building user interfaces. Vite – Fast development server and build tool for React. Fetch API – For making HTTP requests ...

App update, discovering Protractor(testing) and an Angularjs State machine

So for the last couple of weeks, I have not be able to update my blog or finish a couple of the posts that I started writing. Well, I have...been a bit busy, with some the following things,  Testing my app I have been using the app( iOS ) on my iPhone for the past couple of months now, which is both good and bad. The good thing is I can test it and the bad thing is, I can use it every day. Part of the reason, I started building this app is to have something that I can and like to use everyday and since I am already using it, the incentive to release it is not as high as if it were something that I could not use. Anyway I did make some good progress over the last couple of weeks, like  Delete the app from my iPhone and do a clean install: this did help me find a few simple bugs that would pop-up when the app is first installed GET AN APP ICON, FINALLY! this was a bit of a hurdle and I thanks to Fiverr  and fivercrazyguy , I finally have my app icon. The day job ...